Volunteer at the 2018 Horse Trials
Join the Fitch’s family as a volunteer! Volunteers at Fitch’s Corner have a wonderful day in the country on the beautiful property, with a great group of people. No previous experience with horse trials is required. Volunteers are a critical element of any successful horse trial, and Fitch’s Corner is very grateful for the support provided by the volunteers every year.
Fitch’s Corner volunteers receive our commemorative T-shirt, breakfast, and lunch. Full-day volunteers are offered two complimentary tickets to the Saturday Nite Social, and half-day volunteers are offered one complimentary ticket. Volunteers also are invited to social events during the year.
Laurie Niles is our Volunteer Chairman and is the contact for new volunteers. Please contact Laurie if you have questions or to learn more about volunteering (see job descriptions below).
Each phase of the event requires a large number of volunteers. The schedule will dictate which days each phase is held, so volunteers should check when they are available and then select possible assignments. Assignment slots are filled on a “first come, first served” basis, with the exception of certain jobs that require experience or specific expertise.
Volunteers should expect to spend at least a half day at each assignment. Some assignments may require an early morning briefing (i.e. 6 a.m.), but most morning shifts start at 7-7:30 a.m. Afternoon shifts generally run from approximately noon until competition ends for the day. Volunteers should bring their own folding chair, bug spray, sun block, hat, extra clothing, and rain gear. Please do not bring your dog! It is not safe for the dog or the competitors. Check with the volunteer coordinator if you want to bring children with you to determine if your assignment allows you to supervise them or if we may have a job for them while you volunteer.
Volunteer Assignments include:
1. Scribe – secretary to the judge (requires experience)
2. Ring Steward – makes sure each rider enters their ring on time
3. Bit Checker – examines bits, spurs, and whips to determine if they meet competition regulations –requires experience with horses
4. Warm-Up Steward – supervises the warm-up area and sends riders to their rings at the proper time
5. Road Crossing – traffic control for the safety of the horses, riders, and spectators
1. Fence Judges – sit at each fence and record what happens as each horse jumps the fence
2. Start – Counts down horses to their start time and records that time (experience required)
3. Finish – Records finish times (experience preferred)
4. Warm-Up Steward – Supervises warm-up area and sends riders to the start at the appropriate time (requires experience with eventing and maturity)
5. Traffic Control – keeps spectators off the course at areas of foot traffic
1. Judge’s Scribe – writes scores for the judge
2. Timer - Works with time clock/stop watch (experience required)
3. In-Gate Steward - Keeps horses entering the ring in the correct order and on time
4. Warm-Up Steward - Supervises warm-up area and sends horses to the ring as directed by the in-gate steward
5. Jump Crew – Puts up fallen rails and fences
Other jobs may be available once all the necessary slots above are filled.
THANK YOU VOLUNTEERS! WE COULDN’T DO IT WITHOUT YOU!
Interested in being a volunteer at the Fitch's Corner Horse Trials? Click on the button below to inquire.
If you have already signed up to volunteer, thank you for participating at Fitch’s Corner Horse Trials and supporting our community and the Millbrook Rescue Squad.